Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Kelsey......
Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!
Ok now that that is out of the way...
For those of you who do not know my little sister very well/or at all, I would like to introduce you to this wonderfully talented and amazing 12 year old. She is one of my best friends and I do not know what my life would have been like if she wasn't in it. Ever since I knew that I was going to have a little brother/sister I decided that I would live my life everyday as someone that he/she could look up to. And hopefully I have. She is my inspiration for doing well in every aspect of my life and I owe so much to her. It is so astounding how one "little" person can make such an impact on another person's life.
I got the phone call around 8pm on May 20, 1994 (as I was watching Backdraft and talking on the phone to a boy... blushing) that I had a baby sister. Now at first this news was not exactly what I wanted because for some reason I wanted a little brother, but that all changed the moment I first held Kelsey. She was perfect. (Apparently it is in our genes to have perfect children- ha ha) Her little hands wrapped around my pinky finger and her eyes barely opened enough to see who was talking to her. It is the moment that many people experience when holding a newborn, but for me it was magical and it was life-changing.

I loved watching her grow into the girl that she has become but I really enjoyed seeing the changes she went through in those first few years. From cuddling to playing, the time spent with Kelsey was always fun. I know my dad distinctly remembers coming home from work, Tracy asleep in the bedroom, and me and Kelsey asleep on the recliner as her little arms spread across my chest. I remember it too because I really felt like I accomplished something that day as the big sister. I gave Tracy a small break and took over and took to it very well. But not every time spent with Kelsey as she was growing up was peaches and cream like this moment... how about the trip to Disney where she developed her little personality and decided to "let me have it". It was the first time where her and I actually got into a fight (and she was only 3) because she was so headstrong, even back then! That is the one thing I can say about Kelsey, when she doesn't want to do something (or in this case wear something) you better darn well believe you will have a little arm-twisting on your hands. And Dad and Tracy, how about that leash with the imaginary dog that she had to have! But the good always outweighs the bad and looking back I must say that these experiences give me a chuckle!
Ever since Kelsey was born, I have made sure Kelsey was a big part of my life. She was there as I left for prom, when I graduated from high school, when I got married as my junior bridesmaid and she was in the hospital (fast asleep on the hard floor) as I was in labor. I have also been there to see her take her first steps, say her first words, play in her first sport games (baseball and bowling and now tennis), send her off to kindergarten, act and sing in school and church musicals. She is very talented and such a nice girl. I know I am biased because she is my sister, but I think anyone who knows her would agree with me.


Now tonight I take her on our annual tradition for her birthday. Years ago I gave up on what to buy her for her birthday since she wanted nothing to do with the girly dresses and such that I thought would be adorable on her and decided to just take her to dinner and shopping in order to allow her to pick out what she really wanted. Well, it has come to my mind that she is not much of a shopper and actually doesn't like shopping like you would picture most pre-teen girls to so I imagine this trip on our shopping spree will be very short! But thats ok because any time with Kelsey is special to me. With our 13 year age difference most people wouldn't even bother with their younger sibling and would go on with their daily lives but I just cannot see doing that and I never could. She is too much a part of my life! I love her a lot and I know Alyssa does too (even though she is so tiny and doesn't understand love just yet).
So, Kelsey, I know you are reading this and I want to say Happy Birthday to my best friend and the greatest little sister anyone could ask for!
And now I leave you with this... a reason for making a difference in the life of a child (my best Christmas present- a letter she had to write for class to someone that she looked up to)
Dear Megan,
You're the best sister in the world. I love it when you come over on Tuesdays and play exciting games with me. On my birthday, I want to go on a shopping spree with you like I did last year. I love your clothes; you're so stylish. I know you adore me! You're so unique because you're a skilled artist and your pictures are so pleasant and clever. You're so delightful and generous. I want to be just like you. Yes, I want you to know you're my model.
YOU'RE THE GREATEST!
Sincerely,
Kelsey
your sis
BTW she was a third-grader at the time. She also received an "A" on this and well as many, many hugs and kisses from me (did I mention how she is not a fan of affection)!

1 comment:
Meg,
This is such a sweet post! Thank you for sharing it! :)
My oldest sister is 13 years older than me. As I read your post, it reminded me of my relationship with her. She is still today one of my three best friends (my three sisters.)
Before you know it, she'll be an adult!!! Enjoy her young while you can.
Hugs,
cam
Post a Comment